Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Words of a Prophet

"To you parents, express your love to your children. Pray for them that they may be able to withstand the evils of the world. Pray that they may grow in faith and testimony. Pray that they may pursue lives of goodness and of service to others."

This is from President Monson's final talk at General Conference this April 2009 Sunday afternoon session.

I really like that, because it shows what is the most important goal and desire we should have for our children. First they need to feel and know of our love as parents toward them and that they are special and important and loved. Then we need to pray for them, that they will withstand temptation and evil and learn of God, and be good people willing to help those around them. I love the simplicity of the gospel.

Here is Alma 37:6 :

6 Now ye may suppose that this is afoolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.

I am learning that this is so true. It is the simple decisions we make everyday that make the difference in our lives over the long run. I'm learning it with cleaning my house. When I follow Flylady's regimen, even though it may not seem like much to clean the bathroom everyday, it makes a huge difference, and the other little, small simple things do too. Same with raising kids. Teaching them, loving them, reading to them, cooking for them, helping them, may seem simple and unimportant because it is so constant, but those are the little things that turn into big things.

I'm so grateful to have a prophet of God remind us in simple terms of what is most important.

No comments: