I have relatives and I know people who take their kids and spend a few days in Vegas for fun. I remember stopping there as a kid and seeing the cool hotels although I always hated the smoky casinos, the pools were always nice. It was never my idea of a great vacation, but it seemed harmless enough, and some people seem to really like it.
Weeeeeeellllll, not me!!! We had the unfortunate experience this weekend of getting stuck there on our way to a family event in San Diego. I was recovering from a severe migraine and still had a headache in no condition to drive safely for 6 more hours and my husband had a pinched nerve in his shoulder that got so bad he could no longer move his entire arm also in no condition to drive safely. Then my mom worried us that if it was his left shoulder we'd better get it checked out to make sure it wasn't a heart attack. The pain culminated right outside Vegas while we were looking for a Subway. Anyway, we decided to call it quits, find a hotel and an after hours clinic and at least let the kids swim even though they were so looking forward to the beach. It was sad.
Anyway, we were stuck in Vegas and if I had to do it over again, I would turn around and go to the first non-casino hotel I could find on my way back to Utah. We called my uncle to get some recomendations for places to stay in Vegas and he thought Excaliber had rooms for $33/night, so we drove down the strip in pain trying to find it. There are so many billboards and ads for a "good time" that include a ton of soft porn, it is sickening to even drive down the strip. Then as if that weren't enough, we got to follow a billboard truck advertising some whores/ "babes" "who want to meet you" for at least 20 min. I'm glad my children weren't any older. Definitely keep your teenage sons away from this trash town. So we finally found Excaliber and it was $100/ night, but we took it anyway. Then we walked our sweet little children through the casino which smells of cigarettes all the way across to the elevator to get to our rooms. The only appropriate thing we could find on T.V. was baseball, and we had to make sure to turn the complimentary magazines over. What a rotten place.
Since my muscular man was out of comission, I rounded up some dinner and brought up a few things from the car which meant I had the "privilege" of walking through the casino several times. Most everybody was wearing the trashiest cut off shorts and tank tops, there was a really bad Kareoke room, some sports rooms and bars, and a pole dancer. I just kept my eyes off her as much as possible, but I don't think she was even very pretty. I did observe the people watching her though. There was a group of guys which I can understand, but there was also a group of women and there was a couple--which I don't understand as well. There were also a ton of tatoos. It is just one messed up debauched place. I wanted out of there as soon as possible. I suppose that if you planned ahead and knew your way around a little bit, you would know where to avoid. If there was a show you really wanted to see, you would go, watch and leave. But to me, it's just not worth it to see all the ads and other depravity going on there.
The pool ended up being O.K. although it didn't open 'til 9 a.m. so we let the kids swim for a little more than an hour, and then we were out of there!!! I don't think I've ever been so happy to be back in my little sheltered land of Utah. I didn't realize how much I like it here until I've been away. There were a ton of booze shops and gentlemen club billboards and ads in the Chicago area a few weeks ago when we went. I like Utah. So far, I don't see things I don't want to see driving down the road. We count the temples as we go down the freeway. There are families with children in the restaurants. I lived all over the place as a kid and I didn't think I was partial, but I am now. I'm glad to be in Utah!! I hope it stays innocent for a long long time!!
One thing is sure--STAY AWAY FROM VEGAS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment