This is one of the best books on the modern public education school system. It really helped me understand what goes on in the public schools better and what I went through as a student. I read another of his books called A Different Kind of Teacher, after I read this one and it was just as good. I can't get enough of Gatto's insight into this subject and the subject of humanity as a whole. Some of the things I got out of these books are the need we, especially children, have for time to think about things and to daydream, the importance of spending time with family and appreciating them, I did not need to feel any guilt about not completing every assignment given to me, and that the public school system has accomplished its goal. That goal was never to assist students to become free, independent thinkers and human beings, it was always to fit people into their proper place in society and to make them complacent with their station. It has worked!!! The reason so many people see the system as being a problem is because they thought school was for academics and learning and it has failed miserably in that regard. What they don't realize and Gatto does an excellent job of documenting this in his book, Underground History of American Education, is that public schools were set up as social institutions for the good of the whole and not as not places of learning for the good of the individual.
Gatto is so insightful in his books. I learned so much and realized some things about my own education and some misconceptions that I may have passed down to my children had I not read his book. He also does not hold back on his descriptions and when he says something outlandish, I was surprised at how true his statement actually was. Now, so that you will want to go grab His short book, Dumbing Us Down, I will give you the title of the seven lessons he taught to the students as a public school teacher for 30 yrs. in New York city, you will have to get the book so you can read the explanation and realize he's right, he's not making this up!!!
Here they are, the seven lessons he taught to students as a public school teacher:
1-Confusion
2-Class Position
3-Indifference
4-Emotional Dependency
5-Intellectual Depedency
6-Provisional Self-Esteem
7-One Can't Hide
I know it is hard to believe at this point, but go get his book at the library or online or borrow it from me and read these 10 pages, and I think you will be very surprised as I was to see that he is right, and all that time you felt a little uncomfortable in school, you may find you were perfectly justified!!
Take care and have fun, I would love to hear comments on this one!!!
P.S. Also, I want to make sure those of you who like your public school or have no other option, know I have nothing against the public schools. I came out all right and lots of people I know came out way better than I did. When I say that the public school system has failed to produce well-educated and free thinking people, I am saying that as a generalization of the entire school system and not for individual students. Parents are definitely the key to well-adjusted and educated children. Many of them make public school work, and their kids do great. I'm glad we are all free to teach our children how we see fit and do what is best for our families. I do think we all gain by understanding the disadvantages we face in our public schools. Those who choose to stay in them can combat those disadvatages when their children are home, and those who choose to homeschool or private school or whatever can make sure they don't duplicate the disadvantages in their new educational choice. I think the public schools do well at some things like math and science and not as well at others like history, languages and classics. There are definitely disadvantages to homeschooling and other educational choices too. The key is to decide which ones you are most willing to deal with and go from there!!
2 comments:
i agree- which is why we unschool- when left alone in a rich enviroment the learning is every where
Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you have found an educational approach you like. Gatto's ideas fit in with many methods of teaching. I'm glad there is such an interest and a willingness to try new things!!
I'm adding a postscript on my personal take on the public schools.
Post a Comment