Sunday, November 16, 2008

Food Storage

Given the current climate, I have had more questions on food storage than before, so here's some info for whoever is interested:

First of all, let me share the best advice I've heard on food storage:

Get your survival food first, the stuff that will keep you alive, then get the tomato sauce and dehydrated fruit and pop tarts to make the survival food go down easier. Variety is extremely important though, especially if you have kids, because "if your kid don't like it, your kid don't eat it", and try to incorporate the survival foods into your regular meal planning. It's a lot healthier for you anyway, especially if you start sprouting and growing miniature greens like wheatgrass.

How much food do you need?

If you go to www.providentliving.org you will find all sorts of info and a food storage calculator. The total recommended amount of food you need is 30lbs of food/ person/ day, that comes out to 1 lb. of food per person per day, that is a 1 lb. loaf of bread (1 lb. of wheat = 1 lb. of flour). I think I would be happier living on more than that. I've heard that 300 lbs. of grain per year is how much the Jews in concentration camps were fed during the Nazi regime so that gives you an idea, but at least you would be alive. That's where you start. Get 300 lbs. of grain and 60 lbs. of dry beans and other legumes and be sure to get some good oil (non-hydrogenated and non-GMO) and salt because they say you can't live long without salt and oil. I think seeds would be a good thing to have also, so you can grow more food, and sprouts are a must for the vitamins we need.

Here's some info on sprouting and some recipes for sourdough bread and pancakes that only require flour, salt, water and baking soda and they taste good. My kids love both.

That's it for the bare basics of food storage. It takes up a lot more space than you would think and it is a major effort, but the Lord will provide for any who seek his blessing and guidance and do their best to keep his commandments. So good luck!! I hope everyone gets their food storage, because I think we may need it desparately someday.... if only I knew when!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another great food storage calculator can be found at www.shelfreliance.com