Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Make your own lalundry detergent

We had been using products from this website Cal Ben soap products which I do like, but we ran out of laundry soap so I just started using Arm and Hammer and then Sun. Meanwhile, my skin was so itchy and I had a bit of a rash on my back, I thought it was hormones, but then my lower arms started itching too when I wore a long sleeve top and I started to notice that some of my kids were itchy too, so I realized it must have been the detergent. So I did a little research and found this great site on making your own and it is cheap and easy. So far, so good for us. I feel a lot better and my skin is healing although I still itch sometimes.

Here's the site I used from tip nut, but it looked like most the recipes are pretty similar.

This is what I did:

I bought a bar of Fels-Naptha soap and washing soda from Arm and Hammer both found in the detergent aisle.

I grated half of the bar of soap and boiled it in water until it dissolved, then I poured that mixture along with 1/2 c. of the washing soda into a cleaned out honey bucket and added a few drops of tea tree oil and a gallon of hot tap water. I mixed it all together and started using it!! It geled and it was kind of fun. The kids grated the soap and thought it was pretty fun. I'm going to try Ivory soap next time. Pretty cool!!

No comments: