Monday, November 2, 2009

What to do with Halloween Candy?

We have a bucket where the kids can put candy and treats throughout the year and when it's full, we leave it outside for the "Toothless Fairy" who takes the candy and leaves books, toys or movies in its place. We usually let the kids have one small piece of whatever they got and put the rest in the bucket. That way we don't have to make anyone feel bad for giving us candy, we just say thank- you and then put it in the bucket when we get home. We always leave the bucket out on Halloween and this year the fairy left a coupon to go to the skating rink and to the children's museum. I felt guilty throwing the candy away because there were some whole candy bars in there, but I think I will donate it to the food bank or a Christmas stocking project this year. I know some people who can't have any candy at all will have their own party or go out to dinner or to a movie to avoid the whole trick or treat thing. Around here it is a neighborhood thing and lots of people wanted us to be sure to come to their house, and it is fun for the kids, so I'm glad to have a plan of goodwill for the candy. Some houses gave out toys or pretzels instead of candy. I think most parents don't like all the candy. It's just too much for anybody especially our little kids. There also seem to be more and more diabetics and allergies and autism, that maybe eventually the candy will be replaced by something healthier!! Maybe it is wishful thinking!!!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I feel your pain..I love the fun of the Halloween season.. the costumes the trick or treating.. but the candy.. its too much. My kids don't eat a lot of sugar so they really aren't to obsessed about it.. I throw it away.. don't feel guilty if you do.. its sugar.. it isn't good for anyone not matter what.. now its very nice to donate.. I thought about giving it to the elders.. but then the little health nut in me thinks they don't need it either! Glad I am not the only one!!