Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Hubris

Hubris is a word I never had even an idea tht it existed until about 7 years ago when I finally learned some Greek history.  Merriam- Webster describes it as exaggerated pride or self- confidence.  I like to think of it as arrogance and ignorance mixed together.  One example I think of is aperson who has just learned to play a song on the piano telling a concert pianist how their song was pretty good, but they might want to pay closer attention to how they sit on the bench or use the pedal.  Another example of hubris would be a sub contractor such as an electrician, plumber or mason telling the general contractor how to manage the whole project or how they need to be sure to include " such and such" in the general plans.  There sure seem to be a lot of people who know how and what other people should be and do in their lives.  I think these people are very hubristic-- they speak without knowing all the details, they judge others based on their own limited experience.  I think hubristic people are very dangerous.  They think they know how things should be.  They think they are good people who would never do anything wrong.  They are unteachable and stuck, and they don't even know it.  They are not nice to be around.  They are usually mostly interested in themselves or in how others can validate their long held views and opinions, and they will do just about anything to make it appear that their idea is right regardless of how it may make others feel.  I hope I am not that way.  I'm glad I know the meaning of the word, and I'm glad I can recognize this charactoeristic in others so tht I can stay away from those people and know how to manage being around them when I have to be.  I hope I will recognize it in myself.  Extreme arrogance often brought on by extreme ignorance.  Education is a good thing usually-- some people are so stuck that even with an education they can't or won't see it.  This is definitely something I will teach my kids-- be teachable, learn from others, listen, postpone judgement until you have all the details,  don't be afraid to be wrong and admit it, love people, show compassion and mercy, it's OK to not understand things and it's OK to say I don't know, give others the benefit of the doubt, don't let others bring you down or tell you how things are and try to put you in a place so that they can run you over, stand up for yourself without being overbearing and be willing to change your mind and admit your mistakes.  Don't be hubristic!!!!

No comments: