Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sustaining our Leaders-- ch. 18 Teachings of Lorenzo Snow

There is a lot of talk lately it seems maybe because conference is coming up on following the prophet and sustaining our leaders. I believe that Pres. Monson is the Lord's prophet, I believe in the priesthood and that the LDS church is the Lord's restored church. However, I think we as members sometimes take these truths a little too far in assuming that when The Lord calls mortal men to do church tasks that they will or almost cannot do any wrong or any harm because they are chosen and called, even to the point that we think questioning actions or decisions is wrong or unrighteous. I found this lesson in the current RS manual to be quite refreshing in this regard. The chapter talks about the duties of those who are called to positions of authority over others in the church and how they should act. I also thought there was a quote in there on how if you know that a leader is not doing their duty that you have a duty not to sustain them and should take the matter up with a higher authority, but I can't find it right now. I will keep looking, and maybe that's the article or talk I was thinking of more. I think we do have a duty to question and find truths for ourselves not just blindly follow people even if they are called of God, we need to know that what they are telling us is indeed the Lord's will for ourselves, and I believe The Lord will let us know that it is if we are sincere. But here is the link for this chapter anyway. https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-lorenzo-snow/chapter-18-church-leadership-and-selfless-service?lang=eng

No comments: