Thursday, September 5, 2013

Happy- the Documentary

I recently watched the documentary, Happy, on Netflix. I really really liked it. It showed a wide range of people and cultures and things that made people happy. It started out with things like physical activity, counting your blessings and good relationships and support. It moved on to talk about how many Japanese men literally work themselves to death, then showed a Danish women who lived in a shred type of housing unit, and then a man teaching kindness in a middle school, the a piece on Bhutan, one on Okinawa and finally it ended with a piece on a man who serves in the home Mother Teresa started for the sick, destitute and dying. They actually go find these destitute people in public places there in India and bring to their home and care for them and mostly just want them to know that God hasn't forgotten them and that He loves them and that they are cared about and loved. I thought that part was very touching, because to me, that's what this life is all about-- caring for others and being kind. I was especially struck by the lesson taught to the middle schoolers. The instructor talked about the difference between cooperation and competition and how we need to help each other instead of bring each other down. He also had everyone who had felt minimized or made fun of to raise their hands, pretty much every student raised their hands, then he had them look around and see that. He invited some kids to come in front and talk about how it feels when they are called names and made fun of and how it feels to have others be mean to you. I was surprised at how much I related to that feeling of being disregarded and being made to feel inferior and stupid and not as good as everyone else. It made me feel a lot better to see how that is not OK. After the kids expressed their sorrow and frustration at being treated that way, he had the kids say how that's not right and how they shouldn't do that. And that people shouldn't say mean things to each other or be mean like that. It was so refreshing for me to see. Also, the things that make us happy are the simple things in life that don't cost money. Money and things don't make people happy. Serving others, contributing to each others' well-being, good relationships, being grateful and being active-- those are the things that bring happiness. I highly recommend this film, it made me happy!!

No comments: