Monday, September 24, 2012

Joys of Motherhood

Today little #6 kept me company while I made two batches of bread.  He watched me and helped dump some flour into the mixer.  He was a little surprised when he touched the spinning part for the blender pitcher and it didn't stop.  He told me when the mixer had stopped and then he started eating bread dough and watched me to see if I would see him do it and what I would do.  He loves to run away from me when I want to change his diaper, wash his face, change his clothes or brush his teeth.  I love doing all those things for him.  He is sooooo cute-- he has the LONGEST eyelashes and the cutest little face.  When he gets in trouble, he puts both of his little arms and hands over his face and then hides his face in the couch or on a pillow or wall.

#7 repeats everything I say.  He says "thanks" when I get him an apple or change his diaper-- he doesn't run away from me.  He is very sweet and likes to sit right next to me close when we watch T.V. or when I am nursing on the couch.  He also likes to say prayers at meals and at night. Very sweet.  I just want to hold him forever- he's so cute.

#5 has taken a new interest in baby toys.  He pretty much takes anything the twins have been playing with once they have forgotten about for a second and then says it's his turn, but he would have had no interest in it had they not been playing with it before.  As if it wasn't hard enough to share with each other, the twins have to share with their big brother.  I usually make him give it back to whichever twin had it.  He loves the little baby and likes to pat his head and talk to him.  That makes me happy.  I try to give him extra positive reinforcement when he does what he is supposed to-- I think the 3-5 yr old age group is pretty annoying overall.  But I will miss this stubborn little boy as he grows out of it.

#8 is sooooo soooooo sooooooo cute and sweet.  He is starting to smile, coo and reach for things.  I love to just hold his tiny body close to me and smell his baby smell.  There is nothing cuter and sweeter than a tiny helpless baby.  He has to be carried everywhere and he needs his diaper changed and he needs to nurse and sleep.  That's it-- I LOVE babies.

The older kids are so easy-- they dress themselves, they brush their own teeth, they clean things, they help get dinner and other meals on the table, they help the twins find things and get glasses of water.  They take care of the chickens, the cat and the dog.  I love my older kids.  I hope I'll continue to be able to give them the attention they need.  They are really good kids and I love having them around.  I hope they continue to make good choices and learn to work hard and do lots of interesting things.

Life is good.  I love being a mom and spending time with my kids.  I am very thankful for a good husband who works very hard so that I can do this work.  He doesn't enjoy being told what to do all the time at work and the past 2 years have been particularly stressful for him-- I'm grateful he's been willing to sacrifice his preferences to give me and the kids the security of a consistent income and medical insurance.  None of this happens without an excellent husband and father.  They are soooo important to a successful, happy family.

Not that I do everything I should  or that I always remember that I love parenting-- but overall I have a pretty good time and I want to remember these sweet moments.

Well somebody just rolled out of bed so ta-ta for now!

No comments: