Well, I have been baking a ton of bread- like I said last post- I think I finally have it figured out.
The natural yeast start that I got from my neighbor is really really good. Mail me a self-addressed stamped envelope and I'll send you some-- I still haven't gotten my Christmas cards out- although I did give some to my family that live nearby-- so that is an improvement from the last three years so maybe next year-- anyway it's the finding an envelope, finding and writing the address and finding a stamp that are my problem, but if that's all done I think I can handle having one of my kids put the envelope in our mailbox with the flag up-- thus...
I have been baking bread just about everyday since my older kids started going to school so they could have something fairly easy to eat and transport and healthy for lunch. So I have been feeding my start about everyday-- it has liked that and raises more quickly than it did when I first started. I have found it can be used in any recipe calling for yeast-- just substitute about 1 cup of natural yeast for every Tablespoon of dry yeast. The rising times will be much longer-- but that is more time for the yeast to break down the gluten.
So here is my current favorite recipe and process:
First I warm up some filtered water in the tea kettle, then I grind some wheat and get out the bread mixer. I pour in 5 cups of warm water, 1 Tablespoon of Real salt, about 1/4-1/2 cup of extra virgin coconut oil, and about 1/2-1 cup of raw honey-- the warm water starts melting the honey and oil. then I add about 5-6 cups of whole wheat flour- usually an equal ratio of hard white wheat and soft white wheat and 2 - 2 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour and finally about 2-3 cups of natural yeast starter. I turn on the mixer and let it all combine, then I let it sit for a little bit- 15 min. is ideal. I grind more wheat or wash dishes or change a diaper for a minute or whatever-- but I think this step could be skip and sometimes I just skip it. Then finally I add cups of whole wheat flour as the mixer is mixing until the dough no longer clings to the bowl, right as it just begins to cling to itself-- this is usually another 4-7 cups depending on how much water I actually use since I am not an exact measurer. I then push the timer button on my mixer and I think it kneads for 6-7 minutes.
I then cover the bowl with saran wrap since my lid is broken and let it rise til at least double or it is ready to flow out of the bowl and onto the counter. Today it only took about 3 hours-- I let it go another hour. Then it is ready to be shaped into loaves. I punch the dough down to let it rest while I grease my loaf pans. Then I shape them simply by pulling them into a nice round dough ball and dumping them pretty side up in the loaf pan. They should rise 1 1/2- 2 hours-- a little longer won't hurt, but too long they will start to sink.
You can then bake them at 350 for about 30- 45 minutes or until they reach 180 degrees on the inside. Yummy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment